Water is the driving force of all nature -- Leonardo Da Vinci
Here are some things I learned about aquatic systems:
- Wetlands: A Wetland is any land that is wet for at least 5-7 days commonly called swamp or marsh.
- A canal that curves is better than one that runs straight. If it curves, then the speed of water slows down. This reduces soil erosion.
- We need to plant vegetation around the waterways to reduce soil erosion.
- Water cycle: The ones I was already familiar with were: Evaporation, Condensation, Precipitation and Surface Runoff. The new ones I learned were: Percolation, Transpiration, Infiltration and Ground water.
Levees
The probability of a levee
breaking is given a number. The probability that a 500 year levee will break
increases by 0.2% every year. Therefore,
in 300 years, the probability of it breaking is 60%. A hundred year levee’s
probability of breaking increases by 1% every year. Therefore, a 500 year levee prevents more
floods than a 100 year levee.


No comments:
Post a Comment